When it comes to safeguarding your home with a reliable and durable roofing system, metal roofing is hard-to-beat. The reason is it is not only a sturdy and versatile material itself, but it also consists of an entire system designed to augment the benefits of the material for your roof.
If you want to acquire it for your property, you must learn about a metal roofing system to guarantee it is complete and secure and save money in mistakes and accidents. In this blog, our experts share everything you need to know:
What Is a Metal Roofing System Comprised Of?
When you think about metal roofing, the first or most common image that comes to mind are some metal panels. Still, there’s a set of metal roofing parts that are essential to its functionality and durability. Here are they in detail:
- Metal Panels or Shingles: The metal panels or shingles are the primary elements of your metal roofing system. These can be made of various metals, which we discuss in another blog. The panels interlock or overlap, creating a seamless protective layer for your home. They can also be custom-made.
- Underlayment: The underlayment is a crucial component between the metal panels and the roof deck. It is an added barrier against water infiltration, ensuring your home remains dry and well-insulated.
- Flashing: Flashing is pivotal in preventing water from seeping into vulnerable areas, such as roof valleys, chimneys, and vents. Usually made of galvanized steel or aluminum, flashing reinforces the waterproofing capability of your metal roofing system.
- Fasteners: The fasteners are the tiny screws or nails that secure the metal panels to the roof deck. They are strategically placed to ensure the panels are firmly attached and capable of withstanding strong winds and adverse weather conditions.
- Ridge Caps: Ridge caps are installed along the roof’s peak to cover the joint where two metal panels meet. They provide an aesthetically pleasing finish while offering added protection against water and debris.
Benefits of a Metal Roofing System
Opting for a metal roofing system for your home is an excellent investment as it offers many advantages over other types of roofing. The following are the benefits of metal roofing:
- Exceptional Durability: Metal roofing is renowned for its exceptional longevity, often lasting 50 years or more. It can withstand harsh weather elements, including hail, high winds, and heavy snow, without cracking or corroding.
- Energy Efficiency: Metal roofs have inherent reflective properties that help reduce heat absorption, leading to energy savings by keeping your home cooler during hot summers. Additionally, some metal roofing materials are designed with cool coatings, further enhancing their energy-efficient attributes.
- Low Maintenance: Unlike traditional roofing materials, metal roofs require minimal maintenance. They are resistant to rot, mildew, and insect damage, saving you time and money on upkeep.
- Environmentally Friendly: Metal roofing is a sustainable choice, as it is often made from recycled materials and is fully recyclable at the end of its life. Its long lifespan also reduces the need for frequent replacements, thus minimizing waste.
- Fire Resistance: Metal roofs are non-combustible and have a Class A fire rating, providing an additional layer of protection to your home.
Versatility in Design: Metal roofing comes in a wide array of colors, styles, and profiles, allowing homeowners to achieve their desired aesthetic while complementing the architectural character of their property.
What is the Process to Install a Metal Roofing System?
To set up a metal roofing system, you must generally follow a series of steps in order to ensure its quality:
- Roof Inspection: Previous evaluation helps identify any underlying issues that need to be addressed before the installation begins. Metal roofing can be installed over existing an existing roof, but it requires a thorough inspection by a roofing professional to ensure the existing structure can support the added weight.
- Preparation: The roof is prepared by removing any existing shingles, nails, or debris. The surface is then cleaned and made smooth to ensure a secure and uniform base for the metal panels.
- Installation: The metal roofing system components are then installed in the order of underlayment, flashings and trims, panel placement and fastening, and lastly, ridge caps. During the process, it’s important to be careful while walking on a metal roof in order to prevent damage to the panels, which is why it’s recommended to be done by professionals.
- Quality Check: Once the metal roofing installation is complete, a meticulous quality check is conducted to ensure every aspect of the roof meets the highest standards. Roofing professionals inspect for proper alignment, secure fastening, and overall adherence to industry best practices.
Securing a Solid Metal Roofing System
A metal roofing system encompasses various integral parts that work together to provide a robust, long-lasting, and energy-efficient solution for your home. In order to have a reliable metal roofing system, you require high-quality installation, as it plays a major role in your roof’s performance.